Make your own free website on

Pembroke Dock Quins Youth

Match Reports

Latest News
Team Information
The Ground
Club History
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
League Table


18th November 2006, KO 14:30

Pembroke Dock Quins 5 vs Tenby 13


After Fishguard cancelled the Friday evening kick off a fixture against Tenby was hastily brought forward. The conditions were slightly windy and rain was expected in the later stages of the game.

The game began with the Quins attacking the Tenby 22 early on when Matthew Heeps burst through the line and was one on one with the full back he neatly popped the ball to centre Chris Holt to go over and open the scoring within the first two minutes. The conversion was missed but the Quins could not of hoped for a better start to the match. 

The Quins seemed to be dominating the early exchangings when they had another chance out wide but the ball was knocked on. 

This proved costly as some good offloading in the tackle area took Tenby to the other end of the field and gave them their first try of the match when the back row combined to go over in the corner. The conversion was made giving the opposition a 7-5 lead..

The Quins forwards kept the game tight in the rucks and mauls with good work from Aaron Parsons and Scott Powell and the backs kept a good defensive line but there was nothing they could do when Tenby won a penalty and kicked for the posts top take the score to 10-5. This score line stayed the same up until the half time whistle.

The second half was a very close encounter with handling errors coming from both sides.

The first scoring chance of the second half fell to Tenby when some poor discipline by the black and whites gave away a very kickable penalty under their own posts. This opportunity was taken by Tenby to take the score to 13-5 and crucially two scores ahead. 

The Quins did have some chances late on but seemed to panic and rush when there was any sniff of a scoring opportunity. 

This lack of conviction cost the Quins dearly as this was a chance to take a scalp.

But nevertheless at the final whistle the Quins could feel they played alright but will be ruing their missed chances.



11th November 2006, KO 13:00

Pembroke Dock Quins 8 vs Aberystwyth 3


The Quins welcomed Aberystwyth to the Bierspool field on a very windy afternoon. There was a real buzz amongst the black and white players as they were eager to pick up their first league win of the season. It was an early kick due to it being an international weekend.  

Play began with neither side dominating possession or territory and a lot of this was down to the strong wind forcing many handling errors.

This gave the feeling that the match was going to be won and lost in the forwards. And this was to be the story when the visitors took the lead with a penalty given away by some Quins hands in the ruck. The kick meant the score was 3-0 after 15 minutes.

The Quins Youth did not learn from this and a number of numerous penalties were given away that luckily were not punished by Aber due to the poor kicking conditions.

On a rare occasion the Pembroke Dock men got into the Aberystwyth 22 and won a penalty of their own but the decision to kick for goal was contradicted when the kick from outside half Dean Lawrence drifted wide of the up rights. But the same mistake was not made next time when another penalty was won for offside in the back line. This time the kick dissected the posts and levelled the score at 3-3.

The match score stayed the same up to half time. With the Quins not making the most of having the wind first half and knowing they'd be up against it in the second half.

The second half began as the first half had with neither side taking a strangle hold on the game until a good kick from the Aber full back got them deep into the Quins' 22 which would keep them there for most of the second half.

The Quins defence held out against attack after attack from the Aberystwyth pack but when they turned over the ball all they could do was kick to touch and hand the ball back to the opposition.

This was the story for almost 30 minutes of the first half until some quick ball from the scrum for the Quins was spread wide to Rhys Jordan who then broke through the line with a jinking run to gain almost 40 yards he then in turn popped the ball off to set up a ruck. The ball was again spread wide and with some quick hands by forwards and backs the ball ended up on the wing with Lance Keane who sprinted over the try line to give the lead to the Quins with 2 minutes left. The conversion was missed leaving the score at 8-3. 

The Quins defence again held out for the last couple of minutes and when the referee blew the final whistle there was jubilation for the black and whites after picking up their first win of the season.  
28th October 2006, KO 14:30
Pembroke 13 vs Pembroke Dock Quins 3
When the fixture list was published at the beginning of the season this was the fixture that everybody looked for. And who blames them since the rivalry between these two clubs goes deep in to their history.

The conditions for the match were not the best for running rugby, as the ground was very boggy and slippery. This played into the Quins' hands as they have developed a very forward orientated game this season. Despite this aspect it was a very much top versus bottom clash at Crickmarren as the Quins are yet to win a game this season and Pembroke only losing one of their games.

The Quins did not get off to a great start as they were pulled back by the referee for being in front of the kicker off the kick off. During the opening encounters it became clear that the black and whites were up for the game with some good tackling and solid lineout play by Jake Osbourne and Rob Hay.

Pembroke began to feel uneasy as everything they could throw at the Quins was being absorbed. And further more the Pembroke Dock team were having the better of possession and territory.

A pattern began to emerge in the match as the Quins attacked the Pembroke line all the Scarlets could do was give the ball to the outside half and let him kick the ball clear to give them some breathing space.

The scores remained level until the deadlock was broken after 25 minutes against the run of play when some poor discipline in the ruck area by the Quins gave Pembroke a very kickable penalty, which they converted to take the score to 3-0.

Taking the lead seemed to give the Pembroke team some confidence as they spent a period of a couple of minutes down in the Quins' 22 but before they could convert this pressure into points as a tight defence in the mid field by Matthew Heeps, Rhys Jordan and especially Nick Hughes, who had to come off with a fractured shoulder blade, until the referee blew the whistle for half time.

With some words of encouragement from the coaches at the break the Quins kept up the work rate and began exerting some pressure spending long periods camped down in the Pembroke 22 but they could not turn this territory into points.

A couple of changes made by Pembroke in the back line seemed to loosen their play up a bit with a lot of their passing being seized upon by the Quins. But it was in this period of messy play the Quins defence was beached when a few loose passes were thrown out to the wing for the Scarlets winger to go over in the corner much to the delight of the home crowd. The conversion attempt was missed keeping the score to 8-0.

The Quins came straight back at the Pembroke team with some points of their own when some poor discipline by the Pembroke forwards gave Dean Lawrence the chance to kick for goal. The kick was made to bring the Quins back within one score at 8-3.

The Quins encouraged by this score began pouring the pressure on and got within feet of the line as number of forwards including props Darren Potter and David Manning and locks Alex Pearce and Barry Parsons began to pick up and drive from the rucks only for the ball to be knocked on at the vital moment.

With 3 minutes remaining Pembroke launched an attack of their own and when their flanker was taken out it gave them a penalty 10 metres from the line. They decided to run the penalty and the ball was given to the tight head prop to score in the corner. The conversion was missed and the final whistle was blown with the score finishing 13-3 to Pembroke.
14th October 2006, KO 14:30
Pembroke Dock Quins 0 vs Haverfordwest 42

The unbeaten Haverfordwest youth team came to Bierspool with a much-improved side in contrast to last season when as the Quins struggled with a young side. It was undoubtedly going to be a difficult match or the black and whites.

This was evident straight from the kick off when the bluebirds caught the ball spread it to the wing and ran in for the first try of the game after a matter of seconds. This was also converted to give H'west an early 7-0 lead.

Again from the restart H'west took control of the ball and began working their way towards the Quins line through the pack. And with as much ease as the first the ball was spread wide for the full back to score the second try of the match, which was again converted.

This try seemed to wake up the Quins as they began to exert some pressure on the bluebird’s line. But when H'west gained a quick turnover the backs ran almost the length of the field unchallenged to take the score to 21-0 with the conversion with in the first 30 minutes.

It seemed the task in hand for the Quins was to hold out until half time. This was going well with some much improved tackling but with two minutes left the defence was eventually breached when the winger went over in the corner which was well converted to take the score to 28-0 at half time.

With the coaches words ringing in their ears the Quins came out with a bit of a fight having what would be their best scoring chance on the match as some fast pick ups and driving got them within feet of the line only for the ball to be knocked on at the vital moment.

Haverfordwest hit back with some attacking of their own and show the difference in finishing between the sides when they score the fifth try of the game as the No.8 broke from a maul to go in under the posts again converted.

With the score at 35-0 and only five minutes left the Quins were playing for pride but could not contain the running power of the bluebirds backs as they went over for the sixth and final try of the game. This was again converted by the H'west outside half ending with a 100% kicking average.

The score at the final whistle was 42-0 in a match the Quins youth will want to forget as quickly as possible. 
22nd September 2006, KO 14:30
Pembroke Dock Quins 3 vs  Narberth 14
On a sunny but cold day the Quins Youth welcomed the young Otters to Bierspool. The game was played on the back pitch as the 1st team were also at home.
In the early exchanges it was the black and white pack that dominated the game with some exellent rucking and mauling that we have come to expect from the forwards. But with all this possesion it took untill the 20th minute until the Quins got onto the scoreboard when the tight Narberth defence finally gave away a penalty that was in range for outside half Dean Lawrence. His successful kick gave the Quins side a 3-0 lead.
The Pembroke Dock men continued to put pressure on the the Otters line put again their defence held out to keep the score to 3-0 at the break.
After the restart it was evident that some substitutions made by Narberth at half time began to shift the balance of power towards their side. They were able to show more of their attacking side of the game which was picking holes in the Quins defence.
After 20 minutes of the second half the Narberth team took the lead as their scrum half took a quick tap penalty and the ball was spread out to the wing and scored by their No.8. The try was also converted to make the score 7-3 to the visitors.
As soon as the restart was taken Narberth were again on the attack and when some confusion around a maul let the Otters wing rip the ball and go one on one with the Quins full back. He calmly stepped around the opposition 15 to score under the post which was agin converted.   
These two quick tries had completely shocked the Quins who went in search of some points of their own to eat into the lead. But camped in the Narberth 22 they could not convert any of their chances against the aggresive opposition defence.
The game finnished with the Quins still attacking the Otters line but losing 14-3.
16th September 2006, KO 14:30
Pembroke Dock Quins 3 vs Crymych 26

On the opening day of the season the Quins youth entertained last years league winners Crymych to the Bierspool field. The weather conditions were perfect for a good game of flowing rugby.

In the opening encounters it was the black and whites that gained the upper hand with some good lineout work and ball handling skills around the ruck area. Crymych did not like this approach and they became sloppy in the break down area allowing the Quins pack to drive up the field on numerous occasions. But the deadlock was eventually broken on the 24th minute against the run of play when the ball was put through the hands of the Crymych backs allowing the winger to go over in the corner for the opening points of the match. The conversion was made from out wide to take the score to 7-0.

This try did not dampen the spirits of the Quins side as they continued with their tactics of taking the ball up in the forwards and this nearly paid off if it wasn’t for the ball being knocked on inches from the line. With little time remaining and both teams seeming to settle for the score at half time a loose kick from the Crymych outside half was left to bounce and eventually led to the scum half collecting the ball unopposed to canter in under the posts. This try was also converted increasing their lead to 14-0. 

But with seconds remaining of the first half some poor discipline by Crymych in their own 22 gave Dean Lawrence the opportunity to kick for goal in which doing so he took the score to 14-3 to the away side at half time.

The second half was played in a similar style to the first with Pembroke Dock wanting to keep the ball in the forwards and Crymych spreading the ball wide at every opportunity fancying their chances against the Quins back line.

This eventually paid of for the North Pembs team when some good offloading in the tackle led to the tight head prop scoring in the corner. The conversion attempt was missed meaning the score stayed at 19-3 to the visitors.

Despite their lead Crymych were still looking the side under pressure and with the Quins forwards camped out in the Crymych 22 it looked like a try for the black and whites was imminent but instead it was the opposition who scored the final points of the match as a well worked move in the backs to score under the posts despite an obvious knock earlier in the move that was missed by the referee but not the Quins faithful on the touchlines that let the ref know that he had made the wrong decision. The conversion was made to take the score to 26-3.  In the final few minutes the game was gradually played out with the score remaining the same.

But after the final whistle was blown the Quins youth were left with lot to be proud of as this match proved they can give the best teams in the league a run for their money. Also a big positive to come out of the game was the work done by the forwards especially the two newcomers to the team Alex Pierce and Aaron Parsons.

29th April 2006, KO 15:30
Malta XV 7 vs Pembroke Dock Quins 15
Once the team had arrived in Malta there was an air of uncertainty if they were going to have a match after the Scottish team cancelled their tour and also the Malta team were struggling to find enough players. But when we arrived at the ground on the Saturday morning a match had been arranged against an international XV consisting of players from England, Scotland, Malta and Cyprus all ranging between the ages of 21 and 24. The coaches and the players knew it was going to be a tough match due to the hot and humid weather and twp previous nights of heavy drinking going on till the late hours of the morning. Pitch conditions would also have an effect on the game, as the ground was rock solid. The game began with the Malta XV taking the kick off and exerting some pressure on the Quins line early on but the score remained level. This pressure continued for the first ten minutes with the ball staying in the Quins' own half. When the ball was finally in Quins hands the good defensive work was undone as Lewis Davies unluckily has his clearance kick charged down for a try under the posts which was then converted meaning the Malta XV took a 7-0 lead. The seemed to wake up the Pembroke Dock team as they began to do some attacking of their own. With some good forward work and offloading in the tackle the Quins made it up to the opposition's 22. The ball was spread wide to David Manning who threw a dummy to break the line and drove over with some assistance by Lewis Davies for his 7th try of the season. The conversion was put over to level the match at 7-7. The score remained the same for the next five minutes and the whistle was blown for half time. During the break the players took plenty of water on board and the call from the coaches was for more of the same. The second half began with the black and whites confidence growing as they began hitting the Malta team back in the tackles and contesting well in the ruck area. They were also beginning to find some gaps in the oppositions defence with some powerful running from hooker Darren Potter and No.8 Harley Tree playing his last game for the youth. Also the work done by Barry Parsons in the rucks and mauls did not go unmissed. With ten minutes left in he game the ball found it's way into the hands of Potter and he ran straight through the defence to give the Quins a second try and their lead of 12-7 as the conversion was missed. The young harlequins side were in total control of the match and when they won a penalty with 5 minutes left the decision was made to kick for goal which outside half Lewis Davies converted to make the score 15-7 and more importantly two scores ahead. The Quins saw out the final few minutes to win the game and impress many of the spectators as the opposition were in many cases 5 years older than their Welsh counterparts. Celebrations went on into the night as the Quins had made it a successful tour on the pitch as well as off it. 
8th April 2006, KO 14:30
Haverfordwest 22 vs Pembroke Dock Quins 19
The Quins travelled the short journey to the Haverfordwest ground hoping to continue their winning run against a Blues team who were trying to get a victory to stop their loosing run of matches. It was predicted to be a close encounter as the first meeting earlier in the season ended in a draw with the score level at 17-17. From the kick off Haverfordwest managed to win the ball and began their first attempt to get some points on the board but some good defence stopped them accomplishing this. But it was not long before they were attacking the Quins line once again. But unlike last time they were able to find a way through the defence by spreading the ball wide with the outside centre scoring in the corner. The conversion was dropped short meaning the Blues took a 5-0 lead. The next period of play showed that the Quins had not learnt from their mistakes as some poor tackling in the backs let the Blues winger go under the posts and increase their lead to 12-0 as the conversion was put over. With some strong words to the players from the coaches under the posts they seemed to become more fired up. This was shown when Black and Whites began moving up the field and with the Blues feeling the pressure they were forced to concede a penalty. Outside half Dean Lawrence stepped up and kicked the ball straight between the posts to bring the Quins back to within 9 points. This gave the team some much needed confidence and with more ball than in the opening 15 minutes the backs began to find some holes in the oppositions defence and some more poor discipline saw Haverfordwest give away another penalty which was again excellently kicked over by Lawrence with the aid of a deflection off the post. This brought the score to 12-6. With five minutes on the clock left of the first half the Quins won yet another penalty, which was again put over by Lawrence to take the score to 12-9. It seemed that Dean Lawrence was punishing the Blues’ infringements single handily. The second half began with neither side dominating proceedings until some quick handling by the Blues backs saw the centre go over for his second try of the match. The conversion was made and the lead was stretched to 19-9. The Quins' heads began to dip and they were on the verge of dropping when some poor conduct around the ruck area enabled the Blues to kick a penalty to make the score 22-9. It then became evident that the Quins needed to score tries if they were to get themselves back into this game. Realising this they threw everything at the Haverfordwest defence and were successful in getting deep inside the Blues 22. The Quins won another penalty resulting in the Blues prop being sent to the sin bin and kicked for touch. The lineout was taken cleanly and they began to drive for the line. The Quins No.8 Robert Hay peeled from the back of the maul and powered over for the Quins' first try of the match. This took the score to 22-14 as the conversion was missed. Now with momentum the Quins again gradually moved down the field and into the 22. The ball was spread wide to winger Mikey Jarvis who scored in the corner to set up a close final 5 minutes with the gap being reduced to three points at 22-19. But the final 5 minutes was a bit of an anti-climax as some handling errors meant that the score stayed the same. A good second half performance but the Quins will be rueing their poor starts which have hampered them all season. But things are looking up for next season
4th April 2006, KO 18:15
Pembroke Dock Quins 49 vs Fishguard 0
As the sun was setting on a perfect day the Quins welcomed Fishguard at the Bierspool Ground. Confidence was high as the Quins had already beaten the Seagulls away this season and were hoping for a repeat performance. Fishguard began the game with the kick off which was promptly gathered and spread wide by the Quins side. With some great offloading in the tackles the black and whites were already attacking the Fishguard line. When the opportunity of an overlap occurred on the blindside of the field the ball was spread wide for Mikey Jarvis to dive over the line for the Quins first try, the conversion was missed. After this great start the Quins again exerted pressure on the Seagulls line, which ended up with second row David Manning driving over for the second of the game, once again the conversion was put wide. Yet again from the kick off the Quins used the powerful forward to work their way down the pitch in pursuit of their third try of the half. When quick ball was achieved on the edge of the opponents 22 the ball was put wide for centre Nick Hughes to power his way over the line to make the score 15-0. A few chances followed mainly for Bill Brant put some poor refereeing didn’t allow the Quins to increase their lead. Nearing the half way mark of the match a final assault of a successful 1st half. The excellent handling of the pack proved difficult for Fishguard to defend against which enabled flanker Martyn Culley to score under the posts for his first try of the season. The conversion was put over by outside half Dean Lawerence who was having a good game with ball in hand but lacking in the kicking department. The Quins went into the break with their heads held high with a 22-0 lead. At the beginning of the second half it was clear that Pembroke Dock had come out to put a big score on Fishguard. This was revealed when some good work by captain and No.8 Robert Hay held of the Seagulls tacklers to increase the lead to 27-0. It was evident that the Fishguard heads had dropped realising they had no chance of getting anything out of the game. This was exploited when hooker Darren Potter caught the ball from the restart and raced up the touchline to score his first try of the season leaving a trail of destruction in his wake. As if this wasn't enough minutes later he burst through the defence once again to score his second of the match, which was also converted to take the score to 39-0. During this commotion flanker Barry Parsons had come on as a substitution only to be brought back of 5 minutes later to stop him being send of for unnecessary use of the boot on an opposition player. The onslaught did not stop here as a neat cross field kick was picked up by David Manning enabling him to walk over for his second try of the evening. And with barley minutes left on the clock the Quins spread the ball wide allowing centre Nick Hughes to grab his second try of the match. After the conversion was missed the whistle was blown for full time and the Quins had picked up their largest win of the season 49-0.       
25th March 2006, KO 14:30
Pembroke Dock Quins 17 vs Aberystwyth 0
On a day when weather conditions could only be described as atrocious the Quins entertained Aberystwyth. As a result of the poor weather the back pitch at the Bierspool Ground was unplayable so the match took place at the Pembroke School pitch. Aberystwyth won the toss and elected to take the kick off. After the first 5 minutes it was evident that many handling errors would be made due to the adverse weather. Aber had most of the possession in the opening encounters but with some good defence the game remained scoreless. On around about the 20 minute mark Quins winger Mikey Jarvis went for an attempted interception that did not come off only for the referee to call play on. This allowed Jarvis to pick up the ball and run in for the first try of the game against the run of play. The conversion that followed was excellently slotted over by centre Lewis Davies from the touchline. From the restart Aberystwyth gained the upper hand once again using their good work around the fringes of the ruck to get themselves deep inside the Quins 22. But the Quins defence was able to with stand the pressure. In the 10 minutes that remained till half time neither side showed any conviction with the ball being contested by the forwards in the rucks and mauls. As both teams left the field for their half time talk the Quins youth led 7-0. After a quiet 10 minutes in the second half the game once again came to life when the Quins were able to retain the ball for a few phases and were rewarded with a penalty. The decision was made to kick to touch. The Quins used the same lineout move that had worked well against Fishguard a few weeks previously. But this time it did not go according to plan. The ball was taken cleanly from the lineout but as it was going to be popped to Alex Jones he showed where he earned his nickname of 'the Oath' by running straight into the referee, wearing bright yellow, sending them both crashing to the ground. The referee was a little shook up but was able to carry on with the match. A scrum was given to the Quins, as they were the team going forward. From the resulting scrum the ball was given out to Dean Lawrence whom put in a great cross field kick which was gathered and put down by Lewis Davies for the second try finishing a great move by the backs. The conversion was put wide meaning the Quins increased their lead to 12-0. Aberystwyth again used their strength in the forwards to get near the Quins line but some big hits put in by Darren Potter, Robert Hay, David Manning and Barry Parsons mean that then maintained their clean sheet. With roughly 5 minutes left in the game with the Quins in possession of the ball it was passed through the hands of the backs leaving the Quins winger Jarvis to fall over the line for a debated try with the Aber players suggesting that the winger had been tackled in to touch but a TV replay was not needed and the try was awarded. The conversion was missed and with only a few minutes remaining in the Quins saw out the match to win 17-0.  
17th March 2006, KO 19:30 (Griffiths Cup)
Tenby 55 vs Pembroke Dock Quins 8

The Quins youth travelled to Heywood Lane to play a strong Tenby outfit in the semi-final of the Griffiths Cup. Yet again the Quins team struggled for players as many players were out injured and some players being too old to play in this competition. The game began with Tenby kicking off too the Quins. Straight from the start the Quins discovered they were in for a long night when a handling error let in Tenby for the first try of the match, which was duly converted. Despite the early try the Quins showed some great bouncebackability earning them a penalty inside the Tenby half which was put between the sticks by the Quins outside half brining then within four points of Tenby with the score at 7-3. But this gap was increased not long after as some good scrumaging from the seasiders forwards enabled the Tenby No.8 to pick up from the scrum and sprint in for the second try. This seemed to open the gates for Tenby as some good lineout ball meant that their scrum half went over unopposed and some dominant forward play in and around the ruck area enabled Tenby to take a 26-3 lead. With only seconds to go to half time some good running rugby from the Tenby backs saw them score their fifth try of the evening and take a 33-3 lead into half time. When the second half began the Quins came out a lot more confident than they had been in the first half and showed this confidence by keeping a very tight defence for a good ten minutes or so. But it was not long till Tenby extended their lead when a good kick over the Quins' defence was gathered and they scored their sixth try taking the score to 40-3. The Quins had suffered the consequences of defending for most of the match with three or four players having to leave the field with injuries leaving them only able to field fourteen players. This was soon capitalised when Tenby ran in their seventh try from deep inside their own half. But what happened next could never have been expected as the Quins showed some great linking between forwards and backs to put them down in the Tenby 22. With some more good running rugby Andrew Davies was able to go over in the corner to get the Quins only try of the match. But there was still more too come from an impressive looking Tenby side as their No.8 scored his third try and another try by their centre meant that the game finished 55-8. The Quins will be looking to take their second half performance into next week encounter with Aberystwyth.

4th March 2006, KO 14:30
Pembroke Dock Quins  0 vs Cardigan  36

With the Quins firsts having to turn back at Milton due to snow there was a doubt if Cardigan would make the kick off time. But in the end they did and they Quins team they faced was nowhere near full strength. The personnel missing included Jake Osbourne (suspended), Sam Irwin (injured), Lewis Davies (injured), Martyn Culley and Scott Powell due to other arrangements. This left the Quins under pressure in the forwards and backs with only 16 fit players.

The game began with the dominance of Cardigan showing as they exerted enormous pressure on the quins try line put with some excellent defence, which we have come to expect from the current youth team, they survived this scare. It wasn't long until the Quins line was under attack again. This was met with some more strong tackling but eventually this was breeched on the 20 minute mark as Cardigan went over for their first try of the match which was then converted.

The Quins' heads dropped which allowed Cardigan to go over the line two more times in as many minutes. With one of the conversions missed it meant that Cardigan took a 19-0 lead. From the restart the Quins forced a knock on which was followed by a brief period of possession but with a lack of a clinical finisher this did not result in any points for the home side. To make matters worse a minute before half time Cardigan turned over the ball and some good offloading in the tackle meant they got their forth try of the afternoon which was converted by the outside half meaning Cardigan took a 26-0 lead into half time. The second half saw the Quins come out with some renewed hope that was shown again through their aggressive defence in their own and opposition's half. With big hits coming in from Darren Potter and Nick Hughes. But all of this tackling was using up a lot of energy and this in turn enabled Cardigan to cross the try line once again with some good handling skills and the score was 31-0 with the conversion attempt put wide. Straight from the kick off Cardigan again used their superior handling skills to come with 2 metres of the try line only to be stopped by a fine try saving tackle from no.8 and captain for the day Robert Hay. With 15 minutes on the clock left the Quins began what turned out to be their final attack of the match. With some good support play the Quins moved into the Cardigan 22 that resulted in the Teifisiders high tackling Nathan George. This left the Quins flanker injured and needing to be stretchered of the park. After a 8 minute delay due to the extent of the injury the Quins took a tap penalty on the Cardigan 22 and with some good work by the forwards in the contact area they got within a couple of metres from the try line put could not put any points on to the score board and with 2 minutes left Cardigan counter attacked from their own half leading to another unconverted try to make the score Pembroke Dock Quins 0 Cardigan 36.  
25th February 2006, KO 14:30
Crymych  Cncl  vs  Pembroke Dock Quins  Cncl

17th February 2006, KO 19:15

Fishguard  0  vs  Pembroke Dock Quins  11


On a fairly cold Friday evening the Quins travelled to Fishguard with possibly their best chance of picking up a win in the remainder of the season. With no wind the conditions were almost perfect despite some heavy downpours the previous night.

The game began with Fishguard exerting a brief period of pressure in the Quins half, but with some good defensive organisation the Quins turned over the ball which gave them the chance to clear their lines, which they did for a Fishguard line out. With some good work by the forwards at the lineout they won back the ball. This enabled the Quins to launch what would be their largest spell of possession and attack in the game. Pushing Fishguard back deep inside their own half resulted in the Seagulls committing a series of penalties. This was capitalised when a quick tap penalty was taken by David Manning, which resulted in another offence. With the lineout going well for the Quins the decision to kick for touch was made. The Quins shortened the lineout and used a pre-meditated move which allowed Robert Hay to take the ball and pop it to Alex Jones to crash over for his first try of the season and the only try of the match. The conversion was put just wide meaning the Quins took a lead of 5-0. With a large period of loose play filled with errors from both sides the referee blew the whistle to end the first half. The second half began as the first had ended with neither side having any consistency when in possession of the ball. But after some poor discipline by Fishguard they conceded a penalty on their own 22. Dean Lawrence fancied a kick at goal and his confidence showed as the ball went through the posts and the Quins had a 8-0 lead. Form this point the Quins began to dominate possession and a good break by full back Rhys Jordan saw him chip over the defence and win a race with his opposite full back and go over the line for the second try only for the referee adjudge the ball had been knocked on. With only five minutes left the Quins kept Fishguard deep inside their own half playing out the clock and when the seagulls discipline again got the better of them Dean Lawrence made it 11-0 with the last kick of the game. The match ended in celebration for the Quins and captain Sam Irwin said he was 'Proud of every one of his players' and hoped their form will continue.  


Pembroke Dock Harlequins
London Road
Pembroke Dock
SA72 6TD